The old Minecraft "feels"

In Minecraft, players explore a blocky, procedurally-generated 3D world with virtually infinite terrain, and may discover and extract raw materials, craft tools and items, and build structures or earthworks
Wistahe
Fediverse: https://koyu.space/@wistahe

The old Minecraft "feels"

Post by Wistahe »

I haven't played Minecraft in years and due to changing interests I probably won't ever play it again (at least regularly), but I wanted to reminisce on the way the game felt and what makes it so nostalgic. I think the mystery of the game is what made it so fun and terrifying. The melancholic music playing as you spawn on a small island with just a few trees far from land. The vast open single player worlds where you could just travel on and on and find a patch of pumpkins or a grove of birch trees. When you never played the game before, those things are so surprising! The giant mountains that would occasionally spawn and create overhangs casting mob infested shadows. The cave systems you run into when digging a staircase into the earth and the sheer fear when you barely escape back to your base at the top from skeletons and spiders. Seeing a lone creeper during the daytime trapped in a pit on a grassy field. The ruins and abandoned mine shafts. I think the way the fear of strange creatures and the tranquility among what remains of long past civilizations are melded together creates a world where meaning is suggested at, a past just barely breaches the surface. I think that's why the game is so nostalgic for so many people.
pseudoriemann
Fediverse: https://pl.dira.cc/pseudoriemann

Re: The old Minecraft "feels"

Post by pseudoriemann »

Yeah, those were the days! When I started playing there wasn't anything as fancy as "mushrooms" or "pumpkins" though. I played at a render distance of a couple of meters and at 15 fps and did nothing but build boring wooden boxes I called home from which I dug endless tunnels and I loved it. Eventually I got a better PC and updates made the game more interesting. The most fun with it I ever had was when I played with a portal gun mod, and then built a huge scientific research center which completely exploded in an experiment. Actually I think that explosion was the highlight of the game for me, ever since then I found it increasingly difficult to keep being interested. Recently I deleted my account so I will never be playing again (because Microsoft ruins everything). Had good times though.
Wistahe
Fediverse: https://koyu.space/@wistahe

Re: The old Minecraft "feels"

Post by Wistahe »

Oh my god, I remember the portal gun mod! I remember you could shoot the moon and all the blocks would go flying! Back in the day before I got into programming I hosted a Tekkit server. I had a rubber tree farm way up in the sky that could be climbed up to with scaffolding and eventually I made a base on top of a basalt volcano. I invited a friend from school to play and he fought my brother with a mining lazer leaving craters all over the map. Afterwards I switched over to Feed the Beast which had Forestry, Thaumcraft, and Mystcraft. That was the highlight of my Minecraft and gaming experience in general. After I got into programming, I just couldn't play games anymore. I had to create!